We will discuss dentist’s and dental technologist’s salaries in Kenya. A dentist and dental technologists are specialists in the medical field and it is undoubtedly one of the highly sought-after medical professions in the country.
So, aside from the incredible nature of their job, we are interested in how much dentists and dental technologists make. If you have an eye for this profession and are interested to know its worth, you have come to the right place where we have provided you with all the information you need.
Also read: Dental Therapists Salary in Nigeria
Dentist and Dental Technologist Salary in Kenya
The dentist or dental technologist is in the same dental team though with a different job description. A dentist diagnoses and treat dental issues and helps patients develop better oral hygiene while a dental technician, on the other hand, develops and construct custom-made restorative and dental appliances in line with the dentist’s prescription. In fact, dental technicians usually have no direct contact with patients.
So, while the former treats and cares for the patient, the latter, designs the devices and appliances used for the procedure. So you can see that parties work hand in hand.
Wondering what is worth and monthly take-home of a dentist in Kenya
Having said a bit about these professions and their specialty, let’s move to the discussion of the day which is the Dentist and Dental Technologist Salary in Kenya.
I know you are wondering what is worth and monthly take-home of a dentist and dental technology in Kenya, it is common to ask this question, and of course, you are right to ask. Ideally, you are supposed to learn and make findings of all sorts about these professions before making up your mind, and in these modern days, who would want to venture blindly into something they know nothing about. That is why reading this article to the end will be of immense help to you.
To help your curiosity and satiate your thirst to know the salary scale of these professions in Kenya, we have provided you with their salary structure below under different headings.
Average Salary of Dentists and Dental Technologists in Kenya
The medical profession is one of the highest-paid professions in Kenya; however, the salary scale varies on specialization. Typically, a pharmacist’s salary is not up to that of a physician; likewise, a nurse’s salary is not up to that of a medical laboratory scientist.
So, a dental worker in Kenya basically earns around 234,000 KES per month. The salary is between the ranges from 98,300 KES (minimum average) to 428,000 KES (maximum salary is higher). Dental Technology on the other hand basically earns around 107,000 KES per month.
Salary of Dentist and Dental Technologist in Kenya by Experience
The years of working experience have proven to be one of the most important and considered factors in determining the salary. As such, it is a norm that the more years of experience garnered, the higher the salary.
Basically, the salary of a dentist and dental technician having work experience from 2-years to 5-years earn on average 32% more than an entry-level dentist.
In the same vein, dentists and dental technicians with work experience that is over 5-years are in the position of earning on average 36% more than those with 5-years or less of work experience.
The salary continues to be on the rise as your work experience increases. As such, dentists and dental technicians with work experience of 10-years earn a salary that is a 21% increase over that of less than those with less than 10-years’ experience.
Dentist and dental technician who have attained 15-years and above work experience earns an average salary that is 14% increased more than those who have work experience of less than 15 years.
We must note at this juncture that dentists and Dental technology salaries in Kenya on experience vary drastically from location, and it depends largely on specialization. Also, the salary as presented here is in percentage reason been that the actual salary is not known as of the time this article is compiled but the percentage used serves as a guideline so you can calculate the salary for each experience level.
Also, other factors determine the salary of these professionals which includes educational qualification, gender, skills, specialization, organization, and location.
Stepping outside our typical discussion on Dentist and Dental Technologist Salary in Kenya, we will now provide you with some tidbits about this profession especially if you are interested in pursuing a career and making a fortune from it.
Where can the Dentist and Dental Technologist Work in Kenya?
The primary place of work for these professions is the hospital even though a few may opt to work in other organizations. Dentists and dental technologists who work in hospitals either work in private hospitals, dental hospitals (specialist hospitals), or institutions or government hospitals.
Tasks and duties of a Dentist
- A dentist educates patients on dental hygiene, nutrition, and other measures to take care of their oral health.
- They diagnose diseases, injuries, irregularities, and malformations of teeth and associated structures in the mouth and jaw using various methods such as radiographs, salivary tests, and medical histories
- Removal of decay from teeth and fill cavities
- Repair cracked or fractured teeth as well as teeth removal
- They prescribe medication for the relief of ongoing pain after procedures
- Providing restorative oral care such as complex crown and bridge restorations, implants, and orthodontics, as well as repairing damaged and decayed teeth.
- Supervising dental hygienists, dental assistants and other staff
- They also provide surgical treatments such as extraction of teeth and tissue biopsy, as well as performing orthodontic treatment
- They write fabrication instructions or prescriptions for dental technologists
- Tasks and duties of Dental Technology
- They design and construct models of the mouth and teeth from impressions of the patient’s mouth.
- They make use of models and molds to construct dental restorations such as veneers, crowns, and bridges.
- They polish and finish dental appliances.
- They design and construct teeth correcting appliances for patients such as braces and plates
- They also construct and design other dental appliances, including mouthguards.
- They also make use of techniques including plaster casting, wax modeling, and metal casting to design dental appliances
Skills of Dentist and Dental Technologist
To be better in what you do, you have to be extraordinary and think outside the box so that you remain relevant and not obsolete. Aside from the head knowledge about this profession, there are a set of skills that a dental technician ought to possess, take a look below.
- Dental Procedures
- Removable Partial Dentures
- Composite Restorations
- Porcelain Crowns
- Customer Service
- Oral Hygiene
- Removable Appliances
- Patient Care
- Communication skills
- Leadership skills
- Organizational skills
- Physical stamina
- Problem-solving skills
Specialties of Dental Technologists
There are various specializations in dental technology that one can choose for professionalism. Below are some of the core and major specialties in this branch of medicine.
- Crowns and Bridges
- Complete Dentures
- Partial Dentures
Universities in Kenya that offer Dentist and Dental Technology courses
There are several higher schools of learning in Kenya where you can enroll to pursue a course in Dentist and dental Technology. Read through the list below on some renowned schools, colleges, and universities offering Certificate, Diploma, Higher Diploma, Postgraduate Diploma & Advanced Diploma in Dentist, Dental Technology.
- Colleges Offering Diploma in Dental Technology
- Annex Medical Training Centre
- Clive School of Nursing
- College of Tropical Medicine & Community Health
- Institute of Healthcare Management
- Kenya Medical Training College KMTC Nairobi Campus
- Kenya Medical Training College KMTC Nyeri Campus
- Menengai Medical & Training College
- Pine Breeze Hospital Medical Training Hospital
- Ram School Of Nursing
- The Mater Hospital
- Thika Institute of Technology
- Universities Offering Diploma in Dental Technology
- Catholic University of Eastern Africa Kisumu Campus
- Kirinyaga university college town campus
- Mount Kenya University School of Health Sciences
- Mt Kenya University
Salary scale of Chemical Engineers in Nigeria
Dentist and dental technology are lucrative and marketable profession in Kenya reason being that several health facilities are springing up in the country that needs the services of these professionals. From our discussion above on the Dentist and Dental Technologist Salary in Kenya, you can see that the average salary of this profession is comfortable.
So, you can make your choice of studying this branch of medicine and make it a lifetime career. With all that is been said, we will like to know your thought about this article and how helpful it has been to you.