Car accident with semi truck is on the rise in the United States of America, Approximately 130,000 people suffer from injuries in truck accidents yearly. The semi-trucks weighing up to 80,000 pounds, and go by different names like The tractor-trailer, 18-wheeler, big rig, etc. which has become the most used vehicle to convey goods from one end of USA to the other and across entire America.
The consequences of a collision between a large commercial truck like the semi truck and a passenger car can be very devastating. Car or motorcycle passengers are the ones most likely to sustain severe and life-threatening injuries. Car accident with semi truck can cause severe injuries due to their large size and weight. Broken bones, legs, neck, back injuries, spinal damage, internal bleeding, head traumas, and whiplash injuries are all possible. These injuries may require costly multiple surgeries and need serious medical attention.
Although there are many personal and highway safety rules and regulations to avoid accidents yet they still happen. once one does happen, This article will give you the insight into needs to guide yourself and steps to take to ensure everyone is safe and follow the semi truck accident guide.
When you have a car accident with semi truck, It is possible to feel overwhelmed, confused, or in shock about what to do next. Your next actions after your car has crashed into a semi-truck are crucial and necessary. What you do in the hours, minutes, and days ahead will have a significant impact on the outcome. It could also lead to severe consequences. There are ways you can help avoid a lawsuit and minimize your losses. These are the legal considerations for anyone who has been in a semi truck or car accident.
Also read: Motorcycle Accident Guide
Who is at Fault in a Car Accident with a Semi-Truck?
Truck accidents can occur so fast that victims may not be able to determine who is at fault. Contact an attorney to find out. So, a truck accident attorney or accident investigation expert is required to determine who is responsible for a semi-truck hitting a car. Sometimes, it is not always true that the truck driver is the one to blame for hitting the car. Read more on how a car accident with semi truck lawyers and investigation experts determines fault.
However, this is often the case. A semi-truck driver is likely to make a mistake like:
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Driving too fast for the conditions
- Driving and get distracted
- Driving while tired
- Failure to yield
These accidents can lead to a collision that results in injuries and death, so the driver is responsible.
Depending on the facts, there could also be other people at fault for an accident. other parties include:
- Trucking company
What to do when you’ve had a car accident with semi truck today
This checklist suggested by Insurance Information Institute should help you make important decisions if you have been involved in a car accident.
1. Check Yourself for Injuries
After crashing your car into another truck, the first thing you should do is check for injuries and make sure you are OK. Call 911 immediately if you are injured or ask for help. If you are seriously injured, please do not move and wait for emergency personnel.
2. Check on the Well-being of Your Passengers
You can check on other passengers if you are not too injured to move. Call emergency services immediately if anyone has been hurt. You should be aware that you cannot touch, move, or assist the injured unless you have medical training. A car accident with semi truck is most time-critical to be handle by a non-medical orientated person.
3. Get Yourself and Other Passengers to Safety
If you’re sure you can move, Then move to the side of the road or a sidewalk. If anyone is in imminent danger like a tendency for a fire outbreak (petroleum convening trucks) calmly moves them to a safer location where medical experts can access them on arrival. If your car is safe to drive and is causing a hazard where it is, pull it to the side of the road. If it’s unsafe to drive, you can leave it there and go to safety.
4. Contact The Police
It doesn’t matter how minor the accident may seem. Do not settle the matter between yourself and the other person. Calling the police is the best thing you can do. The officers responding to your call will complete an accident report and record the scene. Make sure you give them a detailed and accurate account of your car accident with semi truck. Be honest but don’t get emotional interpret the other party’s actions. Below are the 3 major Reasons to Call the Police:
- The Law requires you must call the police. Failure to do so could result in additional penalties, particularly if someone is hurt, blocking traffic, or has damaged property.
- A police report can help you establish liability. A police report can help you determine who is at fault. There may be a chance that even if you’ve crashed your car or suv into the semi truck, the accident is still not your fault.
- You would be protected from fraud by a police report. A driver might use you to file fraudulent insurance claims. You might suspect that the accident was staged. Calling the police can help you determine if this is true.
5. Call an Accident Lawyer or Insurer
Call an accident lawyer or Insurer immediately after you have been involved in an accident. If you can not get through to an experienced accident lawyer or Insurer, Then talk to your family or personal lawyer. Your Insurer can help you determine your next steps in order to process your claim and what to expect during the claims process. Also to guide you through the aftermath of an accident. Talking to an accident lawyer is a good idea. Be honest and give all details, even if it seems you are at fault.
6. Exchange Information
After ensuring that you and your passengers are safe, make sure to exchange contact information and insurance information with each other driver. You should get information from every driver involved in an accident. Here is some important information to exchange following an accident:
- Full name, addresses, phone numbers, & driver’s license
- Accident location and Time
- Numbers of Vehicles Involved
- Types, color and model of vehicle
- Driver’s license and license plate number
- Insurance companies, insurance policy numbers, and insurance agents’ contacts
7. Document the Accident
it is impotant to document all the acident senerios. We recommend the following steps to protect yourself:
- Identify the officers. Once the police arrive, identify the officers and get their badge numbers.
- Get report copy. Ask the officers at the scene where you can get a copy the accident report. When you file a claim for car insurance, your insurer might ask for a copy.
- Take photos. Take photos of both vehicles from different angles to document the accident. You might also want to photograph the license plates of the other vehicle. You may be able to share photos with your insurer during the claims process to help support your claim.
- Take names. Note the names and addresses for all involved parties, including passengers in the other car.
- Talk with witnesses. Note down the names and contact information of witnesses to the accident.
- Keep a report in Your car. if possible, you can keep a page of the accident information in your vehicle
8. Talk less and Dont over react
At the accident scene do not overreact because your words can be recorded and used against while filling for compensation. Be calm to explain the incident in a few words to police officers at the scene. Make sure you try as much as possible to talk less.
9. Dont speak without consulting your lawyer
Trucking insurance companies are looking to cut costs. They don’t want you to pay the full amount. They will attempt to reach you as quickly as possible and talk to you, trying to convince you to settle down for less. Do not speak to them. Give your statement to the police. it is very important to allow an accident expert or your injury lawyer to guide you on what to say and how to answer questions when insurance agents call you.
10. Start the Claims Process
When it comes to a car accidents with semi truck, it is better when you will let your car accident lawyer do the talking and handle the case. An experienced accident lawyer understands the insurance Chess game better than you. In most cases, they are the only option to get full compensation.
Also read: Best Injury Lawyer in Arizona
Don’t trust just any law firm to look out for your rights. Make sure your lawyer or law firm is trusted and exprienced
No one likes to crash their car into a semi truck. However, the steps outlined above will help you avoid unnecessary worries and sanctions. This will allow you to get your vehicle fixed as quickly as possible by the semi-truck insurer or yours.
it also important to remain calm and think straight, do not overreact at the scene. Whether the accident is your fault or not leave it for the accident lawyers or your insurer to determine. Keep your cool and maintain a level head, regardless of who you think is responsible for the accident.
Remember to see a doctor even do you look ok after the accident. Exchange information with authorities. Document the scene. Don’t speak to anyone except the police or an accident lawyer. If follow this guide properly I am confident that it will help you a lot when having car accident with semi truck.